Thursday, January 7, 2010

Questionnaire

The following is in response to a questionnaire that I recently completed. Hope it is helpful-

Patrick Fariss
Coppell, TX

Questions:

* What and where do you teach?
Pre-AP Algebra I and Pre-AP Geometry
Coppell, TX

* How long have you been teaching?
6 Years

* What inspired you to teach?
As a college student-athlete my lifelong goal had been to be a teacher and a coach. After spending time teaching and coaching, I realized my true passion was in the classroom. Interacting with students and making a difference in the lives of my students has been a motivating factor in career choice. Also, having had a number of differnence-making teachers in my education past helped me to understand the impact a teacher can have.

* What classroom methods are most helpful in pushing students towards
their goals?
Engaging students and developing relationships have been most important in helping students reach their goals. When students know that you care about them and have their best interest at heart, they strive to do their best. By engaging students with creative lessons and technology, our classroom is an exciting place where learning occurs and students excel.

* What is the one thing you wish you'd known when you started in the
classroom? (i.e. advice for new teachers).
The advice that I wish I had received is to work to build relationships with students and parents from day 1. When parents and students know that you have their sons and daughters best interest in mind, they may not always agree, but they will support you and appreciate your efforts.

* If you have a masters in education:
o What did your training teach you that was most helpful in
preparing you to enjoy and thrive in a classroom today?
I was fortunate during my graduate classes to learn how to design engaging lessons and to talk with other teachers as to best practices in education. My graduate classes were starting to incorporate technolgy, but as technology evolves, it is vital that we embrace the technology that our digitally-native students see on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment