Thursday, July 16, 2009

Completing Summer School

My students have worked very hard over the past 5 weeks. It is not easy to give up the majority of your summer to spend 6 hours Monday through Thursday, not to mention homework time, to take an optional math class. Although the desire may not come from within (sometimes parents encourage), most of my students are highly motivated and want to be here. They enjoy learning and want to do their very best. It helps to have supportive parents, but after recently completing the book Outliers , I have a better understanding of why some students achieve more. In a nutshell, those students that continue their education during the summer months, be it in a classroom, by reading on their own, or with experiences with their families, have higher levels of success as compared to those students who spend their summers watching t.v., hanging out with friends, etc.

At the same time, how many of us as professionals continue to grow, read, and learn after our formal schooling has ended? We are either progressing or digressing, never remaining in the same place. How many times have I myself chosen to watch television or surf the web when I could be engaging in a book or other material that will take me to where I want to be. I am improving, but I am not yet where I want to be in regards to this level of discipline. I will continue to persevere and in time I will accomplish more.

The choice as to whether or not to teach summer school is difficult for some teachers. Yes, the extra income would be nice, however, we have worked very hard over the past 10 months with the hopes of recharging our battery during the summer months. Teaching a PreAP class as opposed to a credit recover class makes a difference as you are working with motivated students. I do remember my first tours as a rookie summer school when the job was much more demanding, but as I have paid my dues, I am fortunate to have a great group of hard-working students. Some factors to consider when deciding whether or not to teach in the summer:

1. Do I need/want the extra income?

Most teachers get paid for 12 months out of the year, so anything made during the summer is a bonus.

2. What does the schedule look like?

Monday - Thursday? Having a three-day weekend makes a huge difference.
8 a.m. - 12 p.m. or 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.?

3. Will you have any summer left?

Having 3-4 weeks before reporting back still gives me a break.

Whether or not you are teaching summer school, my hope is that you use your summer to make something happen. Have a plan and set some goals. WRITE IT DOWN! Even if your goal is to refresh yourself physically and mentally, have a plan of how to do it. Otherwise, you will wake up at the end of August wondering where the summer went.

No comments:

Post a Comment