Tuesday, August 11, 2009

3 days and counting

3 days and counting until summer break is over for teachers and we report back to school. For me, it has been an eventful and fruitful summer. From the birth of our daughter, to self-publishing a project designed to help teachers, being an educator has enormous benefits!

As we kick off a new school year, it is important for me to set new goals for this school year, and assess the progress I have made over the past year. I believe that taking time to reflect is too often neglected, and we don't pause to consider or reflect on the experiences that shape us. Some lessons that I have learned over the past year:

1) Teaching a 6:45 a.m. class is possible and fulfilling, but requires enormous discipline, especially when training for a marathon and private tutoring. Find a routine and create a new habit.

2) You can have everything you want, if you just help enough other people get what they want (Zig Ziglar). This is true in teaching, tutoring, or any other profession. If you provide exceptional service, your influence will spread.

3) I am blessed to be part of a great group of teachers and administrators. These people are selfless and generous. They are leaders and passionate about what they do. Not all schools have such a sense of community, but I am blessed to be a part of this group.

These are just a few of the lessons that I have learned/been reinforced over the past 12 months. There will be challenges and victories over the coming weeks, and my goal is to continue to provide insight and wisdom about not only how to survive, but to come out on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment